Re: [tkined] Monitoring a 3Com SuperStack II 3300 switch

From: Eddie Corns (E.Corns@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 16:49:00 MET

   From: "rossetti2@libero.it"<rossetti2@libero.it>
   Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:11:58 +0100

   Hi,
   I'm a student of "Statistics and Informatics for the Management of the
   Firms" to the "Department of Statistical Science" of the "University of
   Perugia" (Italy) and I'm writing my thesis titled "The Monitoring of the
   Computers Networks based on the TCP/IP Model by the Extensions to the
   TCL/TK named SCOTTY".

And here's me about to abandon it because I hate TCL to bits.

   I'm new to SNMP MIB network monitoring. I know that, to monitor a
   particular hardware, I must download the specific mib-file. For example
   to monitor a "3Com SuperStack II 3300 switch" I must take its specific
   mib, but I don't know what's the specific mib-file (and what's the
   variables that can be monitored). I've gone to
   ftp://ftp.3com.com/PUB/mibs/ but there is a very large set of mibs
   and... the readme files don't explain very well.

I'm going to guess here that you've possibly missed the fact that MIBs come in
two flavours, the public ones that all devices support and the private ones
that refer to specific models/manufacturers. Most of the elementary and
useful variables are in the public MIBs (is that the right term?), which is
why they are public in the first place (doubtless some will disagree). Scotty
comes with all the public MIBs already so it's ready to do useful things
straight away. If you really do want MIBs specific to particular hardware,
well that's a bit of a nightmare and hopefully someone else will come up with
some ideas.

If you're english is up to it, you might want to look at the book "Building
Network Management Tools with Tcl/Tk" by Zeltserman and Puoplo but it does
presuppose a knowledge of SNMP

Eddie