Re: [tkined] How to install Tcl/Tk8.0 + Scotty/Tkined?

John Stumbles (J.D.Stumbles@reading.ac.uk)
Wed, 27 May 1998 13:39:48 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> John> But I'm more a network manager than a sysadmin. I imagine there
> John> are others in similar positions...? It would be nice if Tcl/Tk
> John> and Scotty/Tkined installed as easily as, say, Perl and UCD-SNMP
> John> which I've installed without hassle.
>
> We try our best to make the installation of Scotty/Tkined as easy as
> possible. However, we expect that there is a full Tcl/Tk installation
> with dynamic loading enabled and that the target systems has a working
> C compiler etc. So far, I did not see anything which is broken in the
> Scotty/Tkined configuration setup and which needs to be fixed.

Yup, sorry to use this list to ask for help on getting Tcl/Tk installed:
it's just that I got more good advice from here than the ng or scriptics!

However the Scotty/Tkined installation documentation doesn't seem to match
with Tcl/Tk 8.0 - README refers to Tcl7.5 and Tk4.1; section (d) doesn't
specify whether one should be root or not (or the implications for
where you can install to if not) when doing 'make install'; section (f)2
refers to editing init.tcl but the version in 8.0 seems quite different
from the example shown.

Should Scotty work with Tck/Tk 8.0? I thought you (Juergen) said it did,
but I can't remember where I read it now ...

Also I got the errors I mentioned yesterday (appended) in trying to use
Tkined and some of the examples. Are these a problem with Tcl/Tk or
something wrongly set up with Scotty/Tkined?

> However, I agree that Tcl/Tk is different from Perl in that it does
> define a standard way to distribute and install extensions, either in
> source of binary format. People have asked for this kind of support
> from the Tcl core group for years but they did not convince John to
> invest time into this issue. Things might change now that John tries
> to make a living out of Tcl/Tk...

I hope so! -- it's a pity to restrict Tcl/Tk and its apps to wizard
sysadmins (or those with tame friendly wizard sysadmins to set things up
for them).

cheers,

--
John Stumbles                                      j.d.stumbles@reading.ac.uk
Computer Services, University of Reading       http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~suqstmbl

PROBLEMS: =========

I got tkined to come up, but then I get an error message (on the xterm from which I launched tkined):

scinfo@sunm2> tkined1.4.9 invalid command name "LoadDefaults" while executing "LoadDefaults remote manager" (file "/usr/local/lib/tkined1.4.9/apps/manager.tcl" line 17)

and I can't find a Tools menu which I seem to recall on a previous version I had running on an old machine.

The Tnm example 'mibtree' runs (displays a window on my X display, as did Tkined), but when I try to add an agent I get (on the xterm from which I started the example):

scinfo@sunm2> /usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9/examples/mibtree bgerror failed to handle background error. Original error: invalid command name "Dialog_Request" Error in bgerror: invalid command name "Dialog_Confirm"

A non-Tk example such as snmpwalk works fine.