Re: SNMP Multiplexer request

Peter Polkinghorne (Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:47:58 +0000

> Hi,
> I have the following problem:
> I want to run a Scotty based SNMP agent and an existing SNMP daemon on
> the same machine listening to the same port (161).
> The existing SNMP agent has no facility to link-in any agent for a sub
> name space.
> Question:
> Does anybody have something or know anything which resembles this
> functionality which I can use. Please respond by mail.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Hans Dekker

The problem is the the extra issues you point out, which to my mind make it
simpler to have 2 independant agents on one machine. An alternative is to use
the community string to determine which agent - proxying in effect. However
this still requires support - could be done in Scotty I think, but still might
be hard.

However there is help on the way - the AgentX work to produce a standard for
extensible agents - see http://www.scguild.com/agentx for more details.

I am copying to list to see if there are any plans for Scotty to take up this
standard (if it succeeds).

There are also the now defunct SMUX protocols and various proprietary efforts
for subagents.

Finally I would recommend the Simple Times Vol 4 No 2 which discusses these
issues.

http://www.simple-times.org/