Re: [tkined] "no such name" error

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 17:26:18 MET

>>>>> Joseph Cook writes:

Joseph> In general if you are doing sets to objects not in the
Joseph> standard MIBs (i.e. in a private mib), does that mib have to
Joseph> loaded?

Not if you specify all the information on the command line.

Joseph> I can do gets to objects in my private mib by using numbers in
Joseph> the object ID, but get a "no such name" error on a set to the
Joseph> same object.

Joseph> I can do sets to objects in standard mibs, such as sysName, so
Joseph> the community name is correct.

Joseph> Since the gets work, I'm assuming that the mib does not have
Joseph> to be loaded.

If you get a noSuchName error back, then the agent refuses to accept
the set operation. The fact that you can write sysName does not
automatically imply that you can write all other MIB objects.

I suggest to use tcpdump or ethereal to check whether the request on
the wire is really what you expect it to be. If yes, then the problem
must be solved on the agent side.

/js