Re: [tkined] scotty2.1.10 for SunOS4

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:11:33 -0500

>Doug> udp was removed when sockets made it into the Tcl/Tk
>Doug> core. You'll have to drop back to something like tcl7.5 or
>Doug> tcl7.6 and scotty 2.0.7 if you want to use udp stuff. At least,
>Doug> that's if I recall correctly. It's been a year or so since udp
>Doug> was in there.
>
>This is not true. The udp command is still part of 2.1.X and I see no
>reason to remove until there is native udp support in Tcl. The only
>command which got removed was the tcp command because this is not
>covered by Tcl.

drat.. of course.. :( what was I thinking..

>Doug> I'm not sure what you mean by update without tk?
>
>update is part of the Tcl interpreter for quite some time now.

I should probably read the release notes more thoroughly. I knew
that after moved (and was very grateful for it!)

>Doug> The SunOS4 stuff has sort of stagnated. The porting notes are
>Doug> for an older version of tcl (something like 7.5 or 7.6) and an
>Doug> older version of scotty (something like 2.1.5) and an older
>Doug> version of bind (like 4.9.3 or 4.9.4)
>
>Doug> One person here did manage to get it ported a while back and
>Doug> posted back the results here. You might check the mailing list
>Doug> archive from a few months ago concerning his success. He had to
>Doug> change a few things since the porting notes are a bit stale.
>
>scotty 2.1.10 still compiles and runs fine on our SunOS boxes. Sure,
>we have a hacked resolver in our OS and I can't even tell you how we
>patched the hacked resolver in there (this happend years ago). Anyway,
>scotty builds and runs fine on SunOS - you only have to fix the broken
>SunOS resolved. BTW, replacing the broken SunOS resolver is worth the
>effort as many applications will compile much easier once you have
>fixed the resolver.
> Juergen

Now, all we need is a volunteer. I thought the guy who posted a few
short months ago was going to do it. Unfortunately, I can't remember
who it was.. Are you still listening? Would you submit your porting
notes to Juergen?

It's not that different, but the resolver code and bind versions and scotty
code changes have made it different enough that it needs to be updated.