Re: [tkined] Slow performance in NT!

Eddie Low (eddie@borden.po.my)
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:52:36 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Tan Sin Lam <sltan@krdl.org.sg>
To: tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de <tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
Date: Wednesday, October 07, 1998 11:34 AM
Subject: [tkined] Slow performance in NT!

>Hi,
> I realize that in Win NT 4.0 environment, when I use the Scotty tool to
do
>some SNMP query on some switches, I get quite a slow update. My NT machine
>is on the LAN with 233Mhz PII.
> The same script with some slight modification, I executed the script in
my
>Sun Sparc 20, the result is much faster. I wonder is it because the NT OS
>Network component has few layers on top of each other? Any information is
>appreciated! Thanx.
>
>Sin Lam

I am at the moment running scotty-2.1.9 on my Linux machine and I have been
toying around with Mark Newham's scotty-3.0.0 on a Windows NT workstation
for quite some time now. The reason why I am still having scotty on Linux is
because, as you say, the SNMP get/responses are much quicker.

I have noticed that SNMP querie/results are quite slow on the NT version. A
couple of months ago when I first tested scotty on NT, I ran that on a test
LAN, hooked up a couple of routers and a sniffer device. When I did an SNMP
query, the sniffer device showed that the SNMP-GET packet did not get sent
out immediately. I am also quite interested to know what the problem is as I
plan to migrate mine to NT soon.

Ed.