Re: [tkined] How to install Tcl/Tk8.0 + Scotty/Tkined?

John Stumbles (J.D.Stumbles@reading.ac.uk)
Wed, 27 May 1998 15:36:54 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> The question whether you have to be root or not really depends on your
> access control policy on your system. I do not need to be root, but
> other might need to be root for step (d). The text text says under
> (d): "You'll need write permission on the installation directories to
> do this." There is nothing more I can do about this.

How about something like:
(d) Type "make install" to install scotty and tkined binaries, modules
and script files in standard places. You'll need write permission
on the installation directories to do this. <insert text>To install
in the default locations (under /usr/local) this will normally mean you
have to be root. If you are not installing as root you will need to
specify installation directories for which you have write permission.
</insert> The installation
directories are determined by the "configure" script and may be
specified with the --prefix and --exec-prefix options to "configure".
See the Makefile for information on what directories were chosen; you
can override these choices by modifying the "prefix" and "exec-prefix"
variables in the Makefile.

> The example script given under (f) should be inserted into init.tcl -
> it does not contain any code usually found in init.tcl, so I don't
> understand the comment.

Sorry, I (mis)read it as an existing line to alter -- then when I looked
at init.tcl it looked very no-user-serviceable-parts-inside so I backed
off and modified my environment instead!

> John> Also I got the errors I mentioned yesterday (appended) in trying
> John> to use Tkined and some of the examples. Are these a problem with
> John> Tcl/Tk or something wrongly set up with Scotty/Tkined?
>
> The Tcl interpreter seems to have problems to locate the library
> files, which means that there is still something wrong with your
> installation. Did you set any environment variables? Did you modify
> Tcl's init.tcl file?

No, but I changed my dot files to
setenv TCLLIBPATH "/usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9 /usr/local/lib/tkined1.4.9"
as per the unix/README

> Are you using Tcl8.0?

Yes, 8.0p2

> Are the permissions on the
> installed files so that you can read everything?

Mostly: there are odd things like /usr/local/lib/tkined1.4.9/apps/tclIndex
being unreadable. I've mostly left file permissions as they were after I
did 'make install' (as root) as that's how I assumed you'd intended them
to be. I changed a couple to get tkined working (sort of) as I mentioned
in an earlier post. I'll try changing everything to be readable ...

... and voila! it works!!
(chmod -R a+rX /usr/local/lib/*)

Thanks Juergen (and everyone else)

--