[tkined] Re: How to install Tcl/Tk8.0 Sun package + Scotty?

John Stumbles (J.D.Stumbles@reading.ac.uk)
Wed, 27 May 1998 12:24:41 +0100 (BST)

On 26 May 1998 lvirden@cas.org wrote:

> According to John Stumbles <suqstmbl@reading.ac.uk>:

> :On 21 May 1998 lvirden@cas.org wrote:
> :
> :> I strongly recommend that once a Tcl distribution is installed, that it
> :> be used from the location compiled into it. Anything else is likely
> :> to have obscure problems.

> :Problem is, as a Tcl/Tk neophyte I don't know this, until I get it
> :installed and get up the learning curve ... there's a hole in my bucket
> :dear Lisa ... :-)
> :
> :It'd be nice if the package installed sensibly in the first place :-(
>
> What in particular do you not know in your case?

Excluding things that I don't even know that I don't know ;-) what I know
that I don't know (or didn't know a few days ago) is:

a) what I needed to do after 'pkgadd'ing the packaged version to set up
the environment, and there was no indication with the package what to do

b) that there was a significant difference in the way Tcl/Tk can be
compiled, to be usable as a shared library or not

c) that Sun's compiler comes up in BSD compatible mode if invoked from
/usr/ccs/bin rather than /opt/SUNWspro/bin. (This might, I think, have
been the the point of a rather obtuse note in porting.notes about not
having /usr/ucb in your path)

d) that using gcc I have to add -lsocket -lnsl flags

> I can just about guarantee that if you plan on compiling extensiosn, you
> are going to need the Tcl source code available.
>
> I can also guarantee that there will be Tcl based _applications_ which
> will require modifying the source code as initially distributed. An
> example is TkMan.
>
> I therefore suggest that binary distributions are, for the most part, of
> most use when one doesn't plan on being more than an application USER,
> as opposed to an application DEVELOPER.
>
> If you are going to be a user of multiple binary Tcl based applications from
> different developers, you may find that you need a variety of versions of tcl
> on your disk.

I don't want to develop a Tcl/Tk application, I want to use a
Tcl/Tk application developed by someone else (in this case Juergen) in
much the same way as I use Perl modules: just load 'em up and use them --
I don't have to recompile Perl for use with mSQL, CGI, GD or any other
module. Isn't Tcl/Tk like this?

--
John Stumbles                                      j.d.stumbles@reading.ac.uk
Computer Services, University of Reading       http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~suqstmbl