Re: [Fwd: Re: [tkined] Make install problems with scotty2.1.7]

Rob M. Manning (rmanning@c3i.saic.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:34:20 -0500

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Rob> However, I still cannot execute scotty as I get the same message:
>
> [snip]
>
> Rob> So at this point I suspect I am no further in the installation
> Rob> process then I was before. Surely someone has installed this
> Rob> successfully on Solaris2.5 before...
>
> Sure, I am currently maintaining the code under Solaris and Linux.
> And the installation procedure works fine in my case. ;-)

[snip]
> Its difficult to fix this problem (if there is one that I can fix)
> without being able to reproduce it. Someone who experiences this
> problem must invest some time to find the cause of the problem. The
> first step would be to trace the system calls and to check where the
> Tcl library searches for the extension. On solaris, you would invoke
> something like `truss scotty' or if you have the PD version strace,
> you would call `strace scotty'.

OK. I discovered that scotty was attempting to open an was opening
$(prefix)/lib/tcl/init.tcl even though that isn't where Tcl8.0 is
on my system (Hmm.. The configure script found Tcl8.0, so I'm not sure
what why scotty would be looking at an older version of Tcl.) Be that
as it may I've fixed it so that $(prefix)/lib/tcl points to where
Tcl8.0 is. Now I appear to have a more common problem from what
I've read:

{raven:root:51} make install
Installing scotty2.1.8 and tnm2.1.8.so
Installing ./../tnm/library/README
Installing ./../tnm/library/dialog.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/output.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/snmp.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/monitor.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/obsolete.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/init.tcl
initialization failed: couldn't load file
"/opt/solaris/lib/tnm2.1.8.so": ld.so.1: ./scotty: fatal: relocation
error: symbol not found: Tcl_SetVar2: referenced in
/opt/solaris/lib/tnm2.1.8.so
make: *** [tnm-install-library] Error 1

I tried the suggestion that was made to give the option
--enable-shared to `./configure`. This made no difference.
I tried `truss make install` and it provided no more info than
the error message that was generated above. So I guess I'm out of
luck???

Rob Manning

--

Robert M. Manning rmanning@c3i.saic.com Software Engineer OFFICE (410) 571-0403 Science Applications International Corp. FAX (301) 261-8427