Re: compile error in scotty-2.1.5

Morgan Sarges (blip@morgan.iw.net)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:30:35 -0500 (CDT)

On 11-Jul-97 Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

>Morgan Sarges <blip@morgan.iw.net> said:
>
>Morgan> I tried to get it to compile on the linux box, with the same version
>of
>Morgan> gcc (2.7.2.1) and the file tnmUdp.c gives out about 100 parse errors?
>
>Morgan> I have redownloaded the source (to catch corrupted files) and gone
>thru
>Morgan> the CPP output and the actual file, and cant find any glaring paren or
>Morgan> brace mismatches.
>
>This is very likely yet another corrupted linux system (YACLS). I
>would suggest to find someone familar with C and socket programming to
>look at the error messages and your linux system. It is mostly
>impossible to track these problems via the mailing list. The tnmUdp.c
>module is one of the oldest in the scotty distribution and I am pretty
>sure that it does not have any syntactical problems.
>
> Juergen

Jurgen,
I like the abbreviation. And yes, part of it _was_ due to YACLS.

After some more investigating last night, I found an element in a struct,
called "Tcl_File".

Further checking shows that if someone builds scotty with tcl release 8.0a1,
the build is fine, since Tcl_File is defined inside tcl.h (drops into /usr/inclu
de after install).

With tcl release 8.0b2, this is not true. There is _no_ typedef for Tcl_File in
tcl.h.

At first glance, it has either been eliminated completely, or replaced with the
typdef called Tcl_Var.

Ill continue looking at it and hopefully come up with a fix (beyond the YACLS
approach).

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

>--
>Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@gaertner.de> (Tel: +49-531-23873-0)
>Gaertner Datensysteme, Hamburger Strasse 273a, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

Morgan Sarges Voice Phone: 605-338-8334
blip@iw.net Fax: 605-335-3942

System Administrator
Technical Operations, Iway Internet Services,
A Division of Dakota Telecommunications Group

James Joyce -- an essentially private man who wished his total
indifference to public notice to be universally recognized.
-- Tom Stoppard

PGP Public Key block available upon request.