Re: Seperate Read-Write Communities

Ed Phillips (flaregun@UDel.Edu)
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 09:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Alan Hannan wrote:

> ] > IS there a way to open a session with seperate read and write
> ] > communities in Scotty? Currently I open 2 sessions to each
>
> ] No. However, I see the practical value of your suggestion. It would
> ] require to make the SNMP session structure a bit more complex
> ]
> ] -community -writecommunity (SNMPv1/SNMPv2C)
> ] -password -writepassword (SNMPv2U)
>
> Actually, I've given this matter a lot of thought, both wrt
> read/write communities, and also separate communities.
>
> I'd very much like to see the SNMP read string and SNMP write
> string be an 'attribute' of the node. Likewise, the default would
> still exist, and if no 'SNMP Read' attribute, it used that.
>
> Is this something that would bear some work on my part for
> possible patches, or is it not terribly feasible?
>
> -alan

I agree... it make a lot of sense to make the community strings be
an attribute of the node. As it stands, there is an attribute which will
do this, but it is called something like SNMP:Config, which is fine once
you look through the tcl code and find it. However, it is really just a
replacement for the arguments to `snmp session ...', and if you use it,
you have to supply `-address my.host.and.net'. It would be nice if you
could just add to, instead of replace the arg list.
I think it would be best if there were a list of attributes that
could be used to set various things like this separately (community
strings, timeouts, retries, etc.).

Also, I have an idea to contribute to scotty. Would it be
feasible to allow an snmp session to have more than one address? This
would be useful for querying a device which has more than one interface,
and the primary interface goes down (for a long time). However, the
device has a secondary interface that continues to work. This idea is
probably just icing on the cake (or jimmies and sprinkles... hehehe) but
someone might find this really useful.

Ed

| Ed Phillips <flaregun@udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082 |
| Associate Systems Programmer, Network and Systems Services |
| Public key footprint: 1C D4 AC C2 A3 D5 97 AA DB 3B D8 85 88 E7 40 B8 |
| finger -l flaregun@polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key |