Re: Proper way to write an original agent?

Ed Phillips (flaregun@UDel.Edu)
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:06:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Tatsuo Natsukawa wrote:

> From: Ed Phillips <flaregun@UDel.Edu>
> Subject: Re: Proper way to write an original agent?
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:57:22 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > The best way to minimize traffic with SNMP is to do as few queries
> > as possible, and do them less often. An alternative, is to find another
> > MIB or MIB variable that gives you the answer you need, with fewer and/or
> > smaller SNMP exchanges.
>
> I wish I had another MIB variable that gave me the number of open B
> channels. Sometimes it makes me wonder why Ascend doesn't provide me
> with one. Maybe I'm missing something...

Maybe there is an RFC-based MIB (which Ascend-boxes support) for
querying ISDN devices. Maybe it has the variable you seek.

Good luck,
Ed

> > By the way... how is your Ascend box working for you? We were
> > going to try to use Ascend and gave it up. We'd tried Shiva, and gave
> > that up too. We are now using Cisco 752's and they seem to really work.
>
> Our Ascend Max 4000 is working fine. We had some spontaneous reboot's
> until we got a stable firmware, but now it is working fine.
> Tatsuo Natsukawa natsu@itjit.ad.jp http://www.itjitnet.or.jp/~natsu/
> finger natsu@natsu.itjit.ad.jp for my PGP public key

| Ed Phillips <flaregun@udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082 |
| Associate Systems Programmer, Network and Systems Services |
| Public key footprint: 1C D4 AC C2 A3 D5 97 AA DB 3B D8 85 88 E7 40 B8 |
| finger -l flaregun@polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key |