Re: errormessage

Keith Dart (kdart@INS.COM)
Fri, 31 May 1996 01:45:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> arndt@aorta.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Arndt) wrote:
>
> > when i try to execute in tkined in menu
> > IP-monitor ethernet load
> > i get errormessage:
> > ip-name[ip-address]: unknown hostname q\x05\bPC/x15P0.19
> > this happens when i run tkined/scotty on a linux pc
> > and probe the controller of a sgi
> > if tkined runs on sgi the same happens but the correct name
> > is spleed in the errormessage
> > has anyone a clue what i m doing wrong ?
>
> Usually it is the resolver configuration that prevents scotty from
> resolving host names. In most cases this is the broken SunOS resolver
> library (you can find dozens of email on this topic in the archive of
> this mailing list). The funny output on your linux box looks like a
> serious error. However, since no one else has reported this problem so
> far, I will assume for now that your linux system behaves a bit
> unusal.

FYI, I am also running scotty/tkined on a Linux box and I get the exact
same error. I have not investigated the source of this error yet.

Keith Dart email: Keith_Dart@ins.com
Network Systems Engineer 71011.3122@compuserve.com
International Network Services pager: 800-315-4145 or 800-INS-1-INS
650 Castro St. email-page: ins_Dart_Keith@metrocall.com
suite 260 voice: 415-254-0800
Mountain View, CA 94041 fax: 415-254-4288
Client site: MFS datanet phone: 408-975-1528