Re: errormessage

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Thu, 30 May 1996 21:00:52 +0200

arndt@aorta.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Arndt) wrote:

> when i try to execute in tkined in menu
> IP-monitor ethernet load
> i get errormessage:
> ip-name[ip-address]: unknown hostname q\x05\bPC/x15P0.19
> this happens when i run tkined/scotty on a linux pc
> and probe the controller of a sgi
> if tkined runs on sgi the same happens but the correct name
> is spleed in the errormessage
> has anyone a clue what i m doing wrong ?

Usually it is the resolver configuration that prevents scotty from
resolving host names. In most cases this is the broken SunOS resolver
library (you can find dozens of email on this topic in the archive of
this mailing list). The funny output on your linux box looks like a
serious error. However, since no one else has reported this problem so
far, I will assume for now that your linux system behaves a bit
unusal.

Juergen