Re: Active user display bug?

Marc Lewis (marc@blarg.com)
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 20:43:54 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Sat, 25 Mar 1995 11:58:40 -0800 (PST),
> Marc Lewis <marc@blarg.com> said:
>
> Marc> Is there a way to get an active users display to "come back"
> Marc> after shutting down a view and reloading it? I've tried
> Marc> assigning addresses, names, etc to the text object manually,
> Marc> but to no avail.
>
> The active users script used a text object to list the user
> names. This was a bad idea as it turns out to cause problems: If
> someone moves a node, the text showing the user list will stay on its
> position on the map which can cause confusion. Restarts do not work
> with the usual mechanism, as the text object has no IP address
> attribute (which was your problem).

I figured that it was something like that (by looking at the save file).

> I changed the active users script to write the user list into the
> `active users' attribute of the node object. This solves the problems,
> although it may not look as nice if you have lots of users on one
> machine. Below is the patch for ip_monitor.tcl.

You're right. It doesn't look as nice -- but it did work, and I'm very
appreciative. I looked through the code a bit (I've never before had any
dealings with TCL) and tried to get things so they looked a bit more like
the original output. Is there any way to break out the users one per line
without the "{}" characters all over the place?

> Juergen

Thanks again for your help.......

Bye now.............Marc

Marc Lewis (marc@blarg.com) | Blarg! Online Services - Seattle, WA
Data: 206/784-9681 - or - | BBS - Shell - SLIP - PPP - 56k Frame Relay
telnet to blarg1.blarg.com | Consulting services & setup available
then login as 'new' | World-Wide-Web: http://www.blarg.com/