Re: porting 2.1.5 to 8.0b2 on Solaris2

Bernd Hentig (bernd@finow.snafu.de)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:03:22 +0100 (WET DST)

>To be honest I am quite disenchanted with the changes to the TCL
>IO system in the last year or so. I mean the whole point
>of stdio is so that there so applications don't have to do buffered IO!
>I guess that's what happens when you have to run on second-rate
>operating systems. I'm sure it was all well thought out and
>everything, but it sure has bloated TCL. And this channel stuff.
>arg. I still don't understand it completly. And it really doesn't
>like datagrams, and I have both X25 and UDP apps to support.
>It has caused me a lot of wasted time.

Yes. IMHO the changes made to the IO subsystem are targetted at something
called "least common denominator" between Unix, W95, NT and McOS.
This is the same as taking the worst of all those operating systems and
then trying to reimplement some basic Unix functionality that has already
been invented 20 years ago (read: Reenventing yesterday's technology today.)

All those porting quirks left me with the impression that Tcl/tk is not
a future platform for my projects. I'm just about to finish a network
monitoring system completely implemented in itcl2.2/scotty2.1.5/blt2.2/expect5.
This system will probably never be ported to itcl3.0 because the relevant
changes and the waiting time until all used extensions are available under
tcl8.0final (and running stable!) is exceeding my patience
(and that of my employer).

I'm just evaluating Java and various C++ libraries (QT) if they can do
the task, but there still remains a lot of work to do, so no final decision
has been made yet.

Sorry, this message really belongs to c.l.t. I just wanted to join your
valid complaint.

Bernd