Re: community and scotty

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:42:05 +0200

Thoralf Freitag <Thoralf.Freitag@isst.fhg.de> wrote:

> I=B4ve a really interesting. I try to use scotty on a small test network.=
> Different devices on it (Tektronix XP419C X-Terminals, a Cisco 4500, a
> Cabletron 9E13x ...). I` using a community like this B462472UHR an try th=
> folling

> % set s [ snmp session -address pandora -community B462472UHR]
> snmp0
> % $s set [list [list sysContact.0 "Rechnerbetrieb ISST" ] ]
> {1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0 {OCTET STRING} {Rechnerbetrieb ISST}}

> Yes, it works fine, except at the Tektronix.

> % set s [ snmp session -address tentakel -community B462472UHR]
> snmp1
> % $s set [list [list sysContact.0 Rechnerbetrieb ISST]]
> noResponse

> If I look at the snmpInBadCommunityNames the number is 4 numbers more tha=
> before. ( One query and 3 retries ? ) Why ? It IS the right community !

> My first idea was, the Tektronix SNMP implementation is broken, but at wo=
> rks
> really good if the management station is a HP Open View.

Are you running scotty on the same host as HP Open View? Some agents
don't accept set requests from IP addresses they don't like.

It is generally difficult to help with this kind of problem
reports. Please try to get more information. Run tcpdump to catch the
packets send by HP Open View and by scotty. See if they contain
interesting differences. If you have can't decode the packets, ask
someone who is able to read BER encoded packets. If you can't find
someone locally, send the packet dumps including a good explanation
what you did, what you expected to happen, what actually happened (or
did not happen) to me via private mail and I will spend a few minutes
on it.

Juergen