Re: [tkined] How to make trap processing faster

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 12:24:43 MET

>>>>> Vishi Anand writes:

Vishi> I am using scotty (Tnm 3.0) on WinNT. I use callback mechanism
Vishi> to process traps. My agent keeps track of all the traps that it
Vishi> has sent. I can request my agent to re-send all these
Vishi> historical traps. But when this happens, my script misses
Vishi> traps. If number of traps is large, the script even dies with
Vishi> GPF.

[...]

Vishi> What I want to do is display all the traps in a table using
Vishi> mkWidgets. This works fine except for the case where I get
Vishi> bombarded by traps, which the script can not handle. Is there
Vishi> any way to increase size of some buffers etc. I don't care, if
Vishi> my script takes a while to process these traps, I just don't
Vishi> want to miss them.

You mention two problems:

(1) You loose traps.

    Hard to say what the problem is here. It is possible to increase
    the receive buffers using setsockopt() under Unix - not sure
    whether this would work the same way under Win32. The other option
    would be to buffer traps internally before processing them. On the
    other hand, sending traps in bulk is not guaranteed to work over
    UPD/IP and so a sender who does it is taking risks anyway.

(2) You get a GPF.

    This is definately a bug. I don't run scotty on Win32 and so I
    rely on Win32 folks who experience the problem to dive into it and
    to identify the core of the problem.

/js

Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>