[tkined] colourmap command-line options for tkined?

From: Greg A. Woods (woods-tkined-l@weird.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 21:06:03 MET DST

I have an 8bpp (256 colour) display (actually a number of them :-)

I use this display for many purposes, one of which is to run tkined on.

Unfortunately the demands of applications which all want to use lots of
colours means I must resort to using private colour maps for those that
use lots of colours.

I finally figured out how to do this with tkined. I first start an
application (in this case I use xv) that will allocate its own colour
map, but which doesn't use all the 256 colours (at least not right
away). Then I start tkined with the `-use' option, which much to my
relief didn't actually embed the tkined window in the window for the
specified application, but rather only uses its colour map:

        xv -owncm -iconic &
        sleep 10 # wait long enough for xv to start...
        tkined -use $(xwininfo -name "xv 3.10a(PNG) <unregistered>" | awk '/xwininfo/ {print $4}')

This works well enough, but it's a seriously twisted hack (IMO), and I'd
much rather that tkined simply allocate its own private colour map,
either by command-line control, or whenever it finds there aren't enough
colours left in the default map.

Unfortunately I've very little understanding of Tk and though I suspect
there's a way to programmatically ask for a private colour map, I
haven't yet managed to figure out how to make it work even in a trivial
sample application.

I'm using the CVS version of scott-3.x, most recently updated Aug 26.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098 VE3TCP <gwoods@acm.org> <woods@robohack.ca> Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com> -- !! This message is brought to you via the `tkined & scotty' mailing list. !! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To subscribe or !! unsubscribe, send a mail message to <tkined-request@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>. !! See http://wwwsnmp.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw/scotty/ for more information.