Re: [tkined] SNMP set method problem

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 13:28:04 MET DST

>> We use Spirent Communication's ScriptCenter which contains in it a
>> compiled version of Scotty. We are trying to write a test script
>> and issue the following command: $handle set [list [list
>> "1.3.6.1.3.9999.1.2.1.7.1.1" {OCTET STRING} "0x0A0A640A"]]
>>
>> As soon as we issue the command, we recieve the following error,
>> and the program terminates:
>>
>> illegal value for object identifier
>>
>> abnormal program termination
>>
>> When we try to issue the same command manually with a mib browser
>> such as MG-Soft, it works. It also works on a tool such as
>> SimpleTester.

The character sequence "0x0A0A640A" does not represent a legal OCTET
STRING value. See the snmp(n) manual page which explains the various
value formats accepted by scotty. The value string "0A:0A:64:0A"
should work better.

(And if the definition of pwVcPeerIpv4Addr uses the IpAddress syntax,
then even "10.10.100.10" should work due to the DISPLAY-HINT clause).

/js