Re: [tkined] installing development version away from tcl/tk requires hacks...

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 17:04:22 MET DST

>>>>> Greg A Woods writes:

Greg> I have tcl/tk installed from NetBSD's pkgsrc on my development
Greg> system, which means when I install the development tkined-1.5.0
Greg> (just freshly updated from CVS):

Greg> 1. I must supply --prefix=/usr/local as otherwise it seems to
Greg> default to wanting to install with tcl/tk in /usr/pkg.

The configure script tries to be smart - perhaps too smart. It tries
to set the prefix by searching for scotty, tclsh8.3 and tclsh in that
order. It looks like it finds tclsh8.3 or tclsh in /usr/pkg and there
you are.

This is probably not intuitive. However, if I remove this check, then
it is more likely that people have to use the --with-tcl configure
options to say where Tcl lives. Perhaps that is not bad either.

Greg> 2. I have to hack the tcl init.tcl file to append to the
Greg> auto_path variable so that tkined and the other related apps can
Greg> find their packages.

Greg> lappend auto_path "/usr/local/lib/tnm3.0.0"
Greg> lappend auto_path "/usr/local/lib/tkined1.5.0"

Greg> I can see that these might be related, and that the issue might
Greg> really just be that the NetBSD pkgsrc install should allow for a
Greg> site-local init file, or some such means of specifying a package
Greg> library directory (or several) outside of the /usr/pkg
Greg> hierarchy.

Tcl per default searches for packages where it has been installed. You
can change this behaviour by editing scripts (like you did above) or
by setting environment variables. It looks more like a packaging issue
which the various distributions have to sort out. (Perhaps you can
convince the package maintainer to add /usr/local/lib to the default
package search path - which would solve the problem for say 290 % of
the cases.

/js