RE: [tkined] message too long error

From: Sanapoori, Hari (Hari.Sanapoori@marconi.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 14:40:26 MET DST

Hi,

I too saw this error message ..... It is somewhat related to agent side. The
section 4.2 in RFC 1905 has more information on this kind of problem.

We saw this problem when we sent a get request on a table without specifying
particular mib entry. We had bigger set of mibs in manager than agent for
the same table. There is a limiation in PDU message size according to RFC
1905. I think, Agent will check the total size with return values with that
max size and if that crosses that.... It will return the request with too
big error message.... This is what I understood ... Correct me if I am
wrong...

The solution we did is.... Whenever we have big tables, we send 2 requests
to agent maximize the number of entries we can query as 50 mib columns for
the table at a time.... I am not sure it is correct or wrong..... It works
for us here...

Hope this information helps....

Thanks,

-Hari