Re: [tkined] message too long error

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 10:41:46 MET DST

>>>>> Vishi Anand writes:

Vishi> I get the following error when I try to use getBulk with an
Vishi> agent.

Vishi> recvfrom failed: message too long

Vishi> Is this to do with the size of PDU which an agent can send or
Vishi> something to do with Scotty?

The agent sends a message which scotty can't read since the buffer
provided by scotty is too small (16K in 3.0.0, 2K in 2.1.X). You can
change this constant (TNM_SNMP_MAXSIZE) in tnm/snmp/tnmSnmp.h.

Note that SNMPv2c does not allow to "negotiate" the max. message size
between SNMP engines hence an agent which returns big responses is
likely to cause interoperability problems like this. SNMPv3 fixes this
problem.

/js