Re: [tkined] Setting up traps using port 8162

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 13:15:35 MET DST

>>>>> Kelly Kieran-kkelly01 writes:

Kelly> Another question about traps and the listener and notifier
Kelly> sessions. I am working on a SunOS 5.8 m/c.

Kelly> This is the problem that I'm having with the workings of the
Kelly> listener and notifier sessions. I have the following setup.

[...]

Kelly> The IP address for the listener session is 127.0.0.1, therefore
Kelly> the socket is 127.0.0.1.162, and the notifier session is trying
Kelly> to send traps to socket 265.78.9.234.162. How is it then
Kelly> possible to send traps from the agent to the manager?

Why do you believe that the listener session is bound to 127.0.0.1?
The nmtrapd which actually binds the port accepts traps from any IP
address.

Kelly> This is the way that I see the above problem and would
Kelly> appreciate if someone could shed some light on the situation
Kelly> for me. The main question I suppose is why is there a
Kelly> restriction on chaning the Ip address for the listener session?

Since the protocol between scotty and nmtrap does not allow to specify
which port to bind to. If you want to filter traps based on IP address
(which you of course can not trust), then you have to do it in the Tcl
binding.

/js