RE: [tkined] Setting up traps using port 8162

From: Kelly Kieran-kkelly01 (kkelly01@motorola.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 10:36:37 MET DST

Hi again,

Another question about traps and the listener and
notifier sessions. I am working on a SunOS 5.8 m/c.

This is the problem that I'm having with the workings
of the listener and notifier sessions. I have the following
setup.

Machine A = Agent ; IP addr = 265.78.9.234 (example)
Machine B = Manager ; IP addr = 288.99.1.456 (example)

Now my code is as follows

Agent
-----
%snmp notifier -address 265.78.9.234 -port 162
snmp0
%snmp0 trap coldStart [list [list SNMPv2-MIB!sysContact.0 "Kelly"]]

Manager
-------
%snmp listener -port 162
snmp1
%snmp1 bind trap {puts "Trap was sent"}

The IP address for the listener session is 127.0.0.1, therefore the
socket is 127.0.0.1.162, and the notifier session is trying to send traps to
socket 265.78.9.234.162. How is it then possible to send traps from the agent to
the manager?

This is the way that I see the above problem and would appreciate if someone
could shed some light on the situation for me. The main question I suppose is
why is there a restriction on chaning the Ip address for the listener session?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
        Kieran