Re: [tkined] memory leaks in CVS tree

From: Pete Flugstad (pete_flugstad@icon-labs.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 17:41:08 MET DST

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> Looks like you are only setting integers and enumerations.

Yup. Very basic. With the speed of the leak, it's got to be
something fundamental with packet handling somehwere.

> I will
> check whether I can reproduce the problem locally. To track down
> memory problems, you can compile all the Tcl/Tk stuff with the memory
> debugging define enabled. This allow to track where you loose memory,
> although this is getting harder to understand with the Tcl_Obj system.

Okay time to go download Tcl/Tk source. I used the RPMs before...

> Pete> On a seperate note, I know there were plans to switch to using
> Pete> libSMI for the mib parser/interface for scotty. And movement on
> Pete> that front? Is there a way I can help? What is holding up an
> Pete> official Tnm 3.0.0 release?
>
> I lost my libsmi code when my notebook was stolen and I have not found
> the energy and time to redo this work.

Suck... If you want to provide any pointers on how you planned on
doing this, I can try to take a look at it. No promises of course :-).
I've briefly looked at libSMI interface and scotty internal MIB handling,
so I can basically see how it should go: rip out all the existing Tnm mib
handling code and glue the scotty APIs onto the libSMI APIs. Any
problems you recall running into?

> Regarding the 3.0.0 release: I decided some time ago that I will call
> the next release 3.0.0 - regardless whether it has all the features I
> originally planned for 3.0.0. People are already using 3.0.0 in
> production environments and so it seems reasonable to give it an
> official status.

That's what I figured.

Thanks,
Pete