Re: [tkined] installing scotty!!

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 10:13:16 MET DST

>>>>> Siva Namburi writes:

Siva> Inorder for scotty to work which version of Tcl and Tk
Siva> should be installed. I was under the impression that scotty
Siva> works only with Tcl7.6/Tk4.2. Is that true.

The README in each release explains which version of Tcl/Tk has been
used by the maintainer at the point in time the release was made.

Here is what I find in the version 2.1.10 README:

: This release is based on Tcl7.6 and Tk4.2, but it should also work
: with Tcl8.0.3 and Tk8.0.3. You will find the latest version of these
: packages at ftp://ftp.smli.com/ and many mirror sites around the
: globe. Note, there is guarantee that this scotty/tkined version will
: most likely not work with later versions of Tcl and Tk.

Many people these days are running the 3.0.0 (00-02-21) snapshot which
says:

: This release requires Tcl8.2 and Tk8.2. You will find the latest
: version of these packages at ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/ and many mirror
: sites around the globe. Note, this scotty version will most likely not
: work with later versions of Tcl and Tk.

The last sentence is basically there to warn you that Tcl/Tk are
usually not 100 % compatible at the C API between releases. However,
this snapshot runs fine for me with Tcl/Tk 8.3.

/js