Re: [tkined] "inconsistentValue" Error

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 11:09:32 MET

>>>>> Brock Rycenga writes:

Brock> Could someone please lend me a hand?

Brock> I'm fairly new to Scotty. I am running with Windows2K and Tcl
Brock> 8.3.2. I am trying to perform an SNMP set, via Scotty, on a
Brock> Fore switch (RFC 2515). No matter what I do, I always get an
Brock> error when I try to perform the "set". I have tried several
Brock> versions of the following command. However, the result is the
Brock> same. I get the "inconsistentValue" return code.

[...]

Brock> I have tried using the entire OID values, I have tried
Brock> including the data type, etc. Nothing seems to work. Here is
Brock> how I am setting up my generator:

The 'inconsistentValue' comes from the SNMP agent. And the meaning is
that the OID is in principle correct (you have passed the wrongType,
wrongLength, wrongEncoding, wrongValue checks). In fact, here is what
RFC 1905 says:

(10) Otherwise, if the variable binding's value field specifies a value
     that could under other circumstances be held by the variable, but
     is presently inconsistent or otherwise unable to be assigned to the
     variable, then the value of the Response-PDU's error-status field
     is set to `inconsistentValue', and the value of its error-index
     field is set to the index of the failed variable binding.

In other words: The value is in principle correct but the agent does
not want it for some reason. I guess you need to contact the device
manufacturer to find out what this reason is.

[I do not expect that this is a scotty problem since the value seems
 in principle acceptable (under the assumption that the agent follows
 RFC 1905 of course.]

/js