[tkined] Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:03:47 -0400

From: William B. Clay (william.b.clay@acm.org)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 16:04:24 MET DST

Joff:

I've only worked with Catalyst 5x00's, but I believe the trick is the same:
append the VLAN number to the community string, thus:

<community-string>@<vlan-number>

For example: public@101. This actually IS documented somewhere, but it's
well-hidden and took me a long time to find it. Maybe they want us to buy
CWSI instead?

A couple of other things I've had to do to make this work reliably ...

(1) Before doing your MAC walk, refresh the switch MAC cache by a ping sweep
of relevant subnets.

(2) If you've got lots of large switches at a site, before doing your ping,
increase the default 5-minute cache timeout for MACs for the duration of the
CAM scan (it can take longer than 5 min. to walk through all the switches'
CAMs). You can alter that timeout with an SNMP put to the appropriate
variable (I don't remember which one).

Please let me know if this DOESN'T work on 2900XLs, as I think I'm going to
be dealing with one before too long.

-- Bill Clay
Network Solutions, Inc.
Charlotte NC