Re: [tkined] Monitoring ucd-davis snmp variables on linux?

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 10:11:22 MET DST

>>>>> Adam Haeder writes:

Adam> I am still unable to monitor any ucdavis snmp linux variables
Adam> through tkined. From the box I run tkined from, I can type the
Adam> following:

Adam> [root@solomon snmp]# snmpget localhost local_public
Adam> .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0
Adam> enterprises.ucdavis.memory.memAvailReal.0 = 44968

Adam> The snmpget program is the one that ships with the ucd-snmp
Adam> package. This works fine. Now, I attempt to monitor this
Adam> variable in tkined. I choose SNMP-MONITOR -> Monitor Variable,
Adam> and when it asks me what variable to monitor, I enter:
Adam> .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0 I immediately get the following popup
Adam> window: Monitor Variable .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0 on 192.168.1.4:
Adam> recvfrom failed: connection refused

You have a transport address configuration problem. Note that
localhost is most likely not the same as 192.168.1.4...

Adam> Now the error seems to indicate that this variable exists, but I
Adam> do not have permission to read it. However, I can retrieve the
Adam> contents of this value from the command line. How can I monitor
Adam> this variable in tkined? Is the format that I am using to
Adam> represent the variable incorrect?

The error message indicates that it is not possible to talk to agent.
So the problem is not an SNMP problem but an IP address configuration
problem.

/js