[tkined] Monitoring ucd-davis snmp variables on linux?

From: Adam Haeder (adamh@omaha.org)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 06:56:27 MET DST

I'm running the latest ucd-snmp (version 4.1.1-2) on multiple linux boxes. I
would like to have tkined monitor the variables that occur under the
enterprises.ucdavis section of the snmp tree. I have done the following:

copied the relevant ucd-mib from /usr/share/snmp/mibs to
/usr/lib/tnm2.1.10/mibs. It's named ucd-snmp.mib
added the following line to my /usr/lib/tnm2.1.10/library/init.tcl file:
lappend tnm(mibs) ucd-snmp.mib
restarted tkined

The mib is getting loaded, because I can go to the SNMP browser and see it as
an option. I can also browse through the different variables listed. However,
when I try to view any of the variables from the MIB Browser, it attempts to
connect to localhost (127.0.0.1) which fails, since I'm not running snmpd on
my monitoring machine. No matter what host icon I have selected in the tkined
map, it always attempts to access localhost.

What I really want to do is monitor these variables in graphs like the
existing interface monitoring graphs. When I go to the "Monitor Variable"
menu option under SNMP Monitor, it asks what snmp variable I should monitor.
I have tried every combination of options to get it to query a ucdavis
variable to no avail. I've tried the following:

enterprises.ucdavis.laTable.laEntry.laLoad.1
.enterprises.ucdavis.laTable.laEntry.laLoad.1
.laTable.laEntry.laLoad.1
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ucdavis.laTable.laEntry.laLoad.1
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ucdavis.laTable.laEntry.laLoad.1

None of these work. I either get "No such variable" or "connection refused"
(which I don't understand). Can someone please tell me the syntax for getting
tkined to monitor the ucd-snmp variables under linux? TIA

--
Adam Haeder
Technical Coordinator, AIM Institute