[tkined] nmtrapd not responding for engineID query !!!

From: Sanapoori, Hari (Hari.Sanapoori@marconi.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 15:19:12 MET DST

Hi,

I created the scotty snmp listner session on the hose A and the
configuration looks like below. The needed binding is done as per shown in
the trap handler example.

-port 162 -version SNMPv3 -user root1 -context {} -engineID
800007E501A990E018 -authPassWord public -privPassWord privat -notifySecurity
noAuth/noPriv -transport udp -tags {}

I added a notification entry for inform in my switch agent with the same
engineID and user as above. When I logged out and logged in, an inform PDU
will be sent by the agent to manager. During this time, Agent is queriying
for engineID for the root1 user. (Note : The agent don't know how many root1
users are configured in Manager side with different engineID's). This is the
reason for query of engineID.

I saw the following dump from the listerner side. It seems to me that the
agent is querying the engineID, but the nmtrapd is not responding with
engineID. Initially, we had this kind of similar problem and when I
contacted Auther of Scotty, he told me that the agent is not sending the PDU
correctly and scotty is dropping the packets. I doubt the same here to, but
It would help me if somebody who know the content of the dump can explain me
clearly about the reason why nmtrapd is not responding.

[172.16.0.244:161] -> (68 bytes):
308200400201033082000E020241D002
0205AA04010402010304123082000E04
00020100020100040004000400308200

[...]