Re: [tkined] Loading HP MIBs (was Re: 3Com SSII 1100/3300/3300XM utility

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:58:55 MET DST

>>>>> John Stumbles writes:

John> Interesting. They have { ENTERPRISE } in some of their rfc*.MIBs
John> too, but only the high numbered ones - 1493 for example, which
John> you have in Scotty, has undecorated ENTERPRISE.

The MIB in RFC 1493 is correct. Looks like HP screwed them up as a
special service to their customers.

John> And how about a post-processor to fix the broken ones? ;-)

The libsmi distribution includes all RFC MIBs (fixed where
necessary). I strongly suggest to use these MIBs rather than
any vendor hacked MIBs that claim to be RFC MIBs.

[But to be fair: The quality of MIBs is slowly improving. Things were
 worse a few years ago. Our hope is that serious open source MIB
 parsers like libsmi help to make these problems become history.]

/js