Re: [tkined] SQL Databases...

From: Szokoli Gabor (szocske@vaskutya.sch.bme.hu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 14:43:26 MET

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Stuart wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:17:12 Cary O'Brien wrote:

> >As you've probably guessed, I'm a big database fan. Except in very
That was an invitation for heavy bombardment with SQL question, you
know... :-)
> >special cases, my feeling is that the effort up front in getting it to
> >work with the database will be repayed many times over in the
> >flexability of reporting. Plus knowing about RDBMSs may come in handy
> >for other tasks.
> >
> Yeah, I'm on Cary's side here. Storing large numbers of measurement
> "tuples", matching them up with previous data (like for delta
> computation),
I always feared that.
I am struggling between two main concepts about counters:
-storing them raw
-storing them smart (deltas, reboots noticed, etc)

I came up with a looong SQL statement that returned the deltas to be used
in reports, but it strained the DBserver, and was highly inefficient.
If anyone has a good one handy, that may change my perception of the
world.

Dumping into a temporary table, then insering the real one with an SQL
trigger or something feels like an extra stage inserted only to increase
error probability.

Szocske