Re: [tkined] SNMP to SQL

From: Alexios Zavras (zvr@aueb.gr)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:53:53 MET

Back in the discussion of putting SNMP data in databases,
I'd like to ask a more fundamental question.
Do people use SQL features ? I mean "SQL" (structured queries)
instead of just "Database" (store/get).

I was working on the same path as people already mentioned here
(collect with scotty, store in MySQL), when I realized that
*for my needs* there was no gain in using an SQL database.
I've since changed DBMS, and currently use berkeley db
straight from Tcl. This database just gives you a generic
(key,data) structure, which of course can accommodate
whatever you want to store.

The major advantage, I think would come from a temporal database,
since almost all of my data are associated with a timestamp.
However, I haven't found one I can readily use (and I doubt
there exists one).

--
-- zvr --