[tkined] SNMP to SQL (was: High volume SNMP poller)

From: saustin_deja@my-deja.com
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 15:05:51 MET

--

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:47:07 Eddie Corns wrote: > >I'm also working on a poller to collect a few thousand variables into an SQL >database. I haven't looked much at network efficency yet, mainly because it >seems to be dwarfed by the speed of updating the SQL DB. If memory serves >correctly it took less than 15 seconds to poll every interface (it takes 2 >minutes for the entire script to run - the rest being mostly SQL). > > <snip> Eddie,

Are you using Oratcl or some other means to provide your SQL interface? I am working on a project that sounds exactly like yours. What I ended up doing was taking the results of the mib walk tcl command, using puts to write it out to a flat file, then SQL*Loader it into the database. From that point, I use a PL/SQL procedure to compute deltas (most of my performance measures come in as COUNTER32s), time intervals (based on delta time the PDU was returned during successive polling intervals), then compute an average (delta/interval).

I would be interested to see what approaches you've taken to scale this up to a large number of network elements and a large number of MIB variables.

I've posted this to the list but if anyone feels it's off topic for scotty we can do it via private e-mail.

Cheers Stuart Austin

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- Share what you know. Learn what you don't. -- !! This message is brought to you via the `tkined & scotty' mailing list. !! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To subscribe or !! unsubscribe, send a mail message to <tkined-request@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>. !! See http://wwwsnmp.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw/scotty/ for more information.