Re: TCL (was Re: [tkined] Monitoring a 3Com SuperStack II 3300 switch)

From: Christopher Akritides (foris@ans.net)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 22:23:33 MET

I don't get it. I had to learn tcl when I joined my company 2 years ago
and I haven't found it necessary to write code in any other language
since then. I have completed very large and complex projects in the time
it would take me to come up with the C data structures.

Among other things, I've written

- A complete inference algorithm for first order logic in 3 hours using
150 lines of code

- A completely generic data collection mechanism that handles 3000
connections every 10 minutes.

- A script that can complete configurable telnet sessions to 4000 hosts in
20-30 minutes (GO fileevent!). Oh, and by the way, you can run it in
interactive mode and it handles the login/password for you (GO expect!).

I can go on and on, but the point is that I LOVE tcl. I have come to
the conclusion that you just need to be careful with your memory
allocations when you write daemons and make sure that your cpu can cope
with the load.

Chris