TCL (was Re: [tkined] Monitoring a 3Com SuperStack II 3300 switch)

From: Eddie Corns (E.Corns@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 18:22:47 MET

   Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:03:29 +0100
   From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

>>>>> Eddie Corns writes:

   Eddie> And here's me about to abandon it because I hate TCL to bits.

   Nice that you are still here on this list. ;-)

Much as I dislike TCL, I like the way Scotty itself works. The whole idea is
sound but I don't think TCL hacks it for writing largish scripts (and I don't
want to go back to C - ugh!). But I don't see anything else which is on a par
with Scotty.

I just won't use TCL for any more large projects. Actually, I knew that
before but had no idea my current project (storing polled MIB variables in a
MySQL database) would be so large. I anticipated maybe 2 or 3 weeks but its
been nearly 3 months now and nowhere near what I was hoping to do with it.

I'm not blaming it all on TCL, I'm way out of practice of writing anything
longer than a page of code and my current reading material is a very good book
called "The promise of Sleep (Dement)" which will hopefully improve my
productivity :) So this is just a personal thing, I know some people like
TCL.

I'm quite keen to get to grips with guile for myself so I'll probably be
looking for a way to cross call TCL from guile (no problem I've got 256 Mb of
memory, I can run both interpreters!).

I suppose the point of this message is to wonder if anyone else has thought
about using Scotty from something other than TCL.

Eddie