Re: [tkined] Prefix "SNMPv2-MIB!"

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 08:52:50 MET

>>>>> Arun Kumar writes:

Arun> In order to support snmp V3, we upgraded scotty to 3.0. I am
Arun> trying to port our scripts from scotty-2.1.x to scotty-3.0. When
Arun> using Scotty-3.0.0 snapshot, the snmp responses are prefixed by
Arun> things like "SNMPv2-MIB!". Can anyone explain why it was done
Arun> and where I can find the details, or if this prefix can be
Arun> easily eliminated from the output and what is its significance?

The Tcl SNMP API only returns OIDs in dotted notation. So you must be
using some Tcl scripts above the API which does the formatting.

There are two ways to convert an OID into a human readable string:

mib name <oid>

Gives you a globally unique name. This means that the descriptor
(e.g. sysUpTime) is prefixed by the module name. The current snapshot
therefore returns "SNMPv2-MIB!sysUpTime". A future version will return
"SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime" since this is hopefully the notation that will
be supported by most free SNMP toolkits (and which is supported by the
NMRG research group and their SMIng project).

mib label <oid>

Gives you always the descriptor without the module prefix. So this
command returns "sysUpTime" (which is what I think you expect).

/js