Re: [tkined] Agent with Scotty

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 15:59:32 MET

>>>>> Ameya Talwalkar writes:

Ameya> I am writing a very simple agent with scotty. Here is a piece
Ameya> of code which I have for the agent. It loads a .mib file
Ameya> Stats.mib which is a valid/good mib.

[...]

Ameya> configure -port 161

The command above must be "$s configure -port 161".

[...]

Ameya> But this script does not work for me. Whenever I make a SNMP
Ameya> get using another scotty/Tcl script or some tool like HP
Ameya> OpenView ... the request times out.

The rest looks pretty good. I don't know what you have in your .mib
file, so there might be valid reasons why you do not get any

Ameya> Can someone point out as to what I am doing wrong or some more
Ameya> things I need to do for the agent to work.

Some test you should make:

1) Can you read sysUpTime.0 from the scotty agent?

2) Turn on debugging by saying "snmp watch on" so that scotty prints
   the SNMP messages it receives and sends.

3) Use tcpdump (or something similar) to check what is happening on
   the wire.

4) Use strace (or something similar) to check what the Tcl interpreter
   is doing (whether it wakes up from the select and calls recvfrm).

Depending on the results of these tests, you will be able to determine
where the problem actually is.

/js