Re: [tkined] scotty, udp, and multithreadedness?

Matthew Levine (mlevine@cisco.com)
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:59:16 -0800

Hi Juergen,

I have now decoupled the send and receive side but now I have a new
problem.

It appears that bindings occur in the global scope. How do I pass the
udp channel to a binding if I have more than one udp channel to work
with?

What I'm trying to do is create a protocol tester flexible enough to
deal with a few different endpoints simultaneously.
The only idea I can think of works with just a single endpoint by
copying the udp channel to a global variable like udpQ (udp queue). I
can queue channels on that variable as a list but there doesn't seem to
be a way for the binding to know which channel it should choose to
receive on.

Would creating new interpreters for each endpoint work assuming a
one-to-one relationship between the udp channel and the udpQ variable?
What might be the impact (performance or otherwise) of doing so? Is
there a simpler way?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Matthew> I'm using Scotty to create UDP conversations in sort of a
> Matthew> makeshift packet generator (sort of but not really.) Can
> Matthew> someone provide some code or some clues on how I can either
> Matthew> write multithreaded Tcl or something like it?
>
> Matthew> I'm trying to decouple the sending and receiving of the
> Matthew> packets so that regardless of how fast the endpoint is
> Matthew> responding, I can still send without having to halt program
> Matthew> execution while waiting for responses.
>
> Matthew> I'm using the udp commands in Scotty 2.1.9.
>
> Read the manual page, especially the section on `udp bind'.
>
> /js
>
> --
> Juergen Schoenwaelder Technical University Braunschweig
> <schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
> Phone: +49 531 391 3289 Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
> Fax: +49 531 391 5936 <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>
>
> --

---
------
Matthew Levine
Development Test (Consumer Line Of Business)
Cisco Systems, Inc	http://www.cisco.com/
mlevine@cisco.com	(831) 457 - 5431