Re: [tkined] Xlib.h still missing after all these years....

Marc Grober (marc@interak.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:52:43 -0800

Well, I found out that a development kit had to be installed, installed it,
and the make went fine.
Problem is now that the make install blew up undoubtedly because I Missed
some other details in the Makefile for locations. What a nightmare.....
apparently SCO install 7.6.0 stuff with the OS..... they then have a
"skunkware" CD that installs lots of additional stuff, which includes
8.0.4, but apparently none of the stuff installed from the addon CD is
actuially installed (e.g. autoconf won;t work because it doesn't the the
gnu macro processor, which is indeed part of what was
installed..........................)

The last message regarding the bin error seems to come from a problem
resolving the install path to /usr/local/bin instead of usr/local I hunted
about and found the entries in Makefile and corrected them and so I got an
install....... but..

-> The first two entries are a mystery and now when I run tkined I get the
following:

# ./tkined1.4.9 &
3578
# error reading package index file /usr/local/lib/blt.24g/pkgIndex.tcl:
expected version number but got "."
error reading package index file /usr/local/lib/blt.24g/pkgIndex.tcl:
expected version number but got "."
UX:sh (manager.tcl): ERROR: scotty2.1.9: Not found

-> and I noticed there is no tool menu item..... soooooooo I tried to run
scotty2.1.9 and lo and behol, it is what is blowing up with the
pkgIndex.tcl error......

The question is what do I have to hack to get everything running correctly
and why are the executable that are being created set with the version
number?

I have included the errors from make install as well as the possibly
pertinent settings from the Makefile

As a result of the install there are the following in /usr/local/lib:

drwxr-xr-x 4 bin bin 1024 Sep 3 22:54 tk8.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 2616 Feb 7 1999 tkConfig.sh
drwxr-xr-x 5 root sys 1024 Sep 21 14:49 tkined1.4.9
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 116736 Sep 21 14:49 tkined1.4.9.so
drwxr-xr-x 3 bin bin 96 Sep 3 23:53 tkX8.0.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 1057 Feb 23 1999 tkxConfig.sh
drwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 1024 Sep 21 14:27 tnm2.1.9
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 341672 Sep 21 14:48 tnm2.1.9.so

and in /usr/local/include

-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 1678 Feb 7 1999 tcldbg.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 9010 Feb 23 1999 tclExtend.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 60804 Feb 7 1999 tcl.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 1212 Feb 7 1999 tclRegexp.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 61731 Feb 7 1999 tk.h

*******************************
error reading package index file /usr/local/lib/blt.24g/pkgIndex.tcl:
expected v
ersion number but got "."
error reading package index file /usr/local/lib/blt.24g/pkgIndex.tcl:
expected v
ersion number but got "."
UX:sh (sh): ERROR: /usr/bin/tclsh8.0: Not found
UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.
~

*****************************
prefix = /usr/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}

# Directory in which to install the program scotty:
BIN_INSTALL_DIR = $(exec_prefix)/bin

# Directory in which to install dynamic loadable modules:
LIB_INSTALL_DIR = $(exec_prefix)/lib

# Directory in which dynamic loadable modules are installed:
LIB_RUNTIME_DIR = $(exec_prefix)/lib

# Directory in which to install library files belonging to the extension.
TNM_INSTALL_DIR = $(prefix)/lib/tnm$(TNM_VERSION)

# Directory in which to install library files belonging to the extension.
TCL_INSTALL_DIR = $(prefix)/lib/tcl$(TCL_VERSION)

# Directory in which to install the library of tkined scripts.
TKI_INSTALL_DIR = $(prefix)/lib/tkined$(TKI_VERSION)

# Top-level directory for manual entries:
MAN_INSTALL_DIR = $(prefix)/man

# Directory in which to install the manual entries:
MAN1_INSTALL_DIR = $(MAN_INSTALL_DIR)/man1

# Directory in which to install manual entry for straps:
MAN8_INSTALL_DIR = $(MAN_INSTALL_DIR)/man8

# Directory in which to install manual entry for msqltcl, cmiptcl:
MANN_INSTALL_DIR = $(MAN_INSTALL_DIR)/mann

# To change the compiler switches, for example to change from -O
# to -g, change the following line:
CFLAGS = -O
# NTPING should contain the full path to the installed ntping binary.
NTPING = $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/ntping

# STRAPS should contain the full path to the installed ntping binary.
STRAPS = $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/straps

# A "-I" switch that can be used when compiling to make all of the
# X11 include files accessible (the configure script will try to
# set this value, and will cause it to be an empty string if the
# include files are accessible via /usr/include).
X11_INCLUDES = -I/usr/X11R6.1/include

# Linker switch(es) to use to link with the X11 library archive (the
# configure script will try to set this value automatically, but you
# can override it).
X11_LIBS = -L/usr/X11R6.1/lib -lX11

# Top-level directory in which Tcl's platform-specific files (e.g.
# executables) are installed.
TCL_EXEC_PREFIX=${install_path}/usr
# The full name of the tclsh executable (including the full path
# and the Tcl version number).
TCL_TCLSH=$(TCL_EXEC_PREFIX)/bin/tclsh$(TCL_VERSION)

# Top-level directory in which Tk's platform-specific files (e.g.
# executables) are installed.
TK_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/local

# The full name of the wish executable (including the full path
# and the Tk version number).
TK_WISH=$(TK_EXEC_PREFIX)/bin/wish$(TK_VERSION)

# A "-I" switch that can be used when compiling to make all the
# Tcl include files accessible (the configure script will try to
# set this value).
TCL_INCLUDES = -I/usr/local/include
#-I${install_path}/usr/include

# Linker switch(es) to use to link with the Tcl library archive (the
# configure script will try to set this value automatically, but you
# can override it).
TCL_LIB_SPEC = -L${install_path}/usr/local/lib -ltcl8.0
# A "-I" switch that can be used when compiling to make all the
# Tk include files accessible (the configure script will try to
# set this value).
TK_INCLUDES = -I/usr/local/include
#-I/usr/local/include

# Linker switch(es) to use to link with the Tk library archive (the
# configure script will try to set this value automatically, but you
# can override it).
TK_LIB_SPEC = -L/usr/local/lib -ltk8.0${TK_DBGX}

# A "-I" switch that can be used when compiling to make the msql
# include files accessible (the configure script will try to
# set this value).
MSQL_INCLUDES =