Re: [tkined] invalid Netmask?

Thomas Haberland (thaberland@hawkeye.net)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:17:35 +0200

Hi Erik,

> Thomas> Discovering my network tkined complains about an invalid
> Thomas> netmask of "0.255.255.255" for appr. 50% of all clients.
> Thomas> Message, for example: "Please check the netmask 0.255.255.255
> Thomas> for 1.1.4.174 on class A network 1."
> Thomas> We use the netmask 255.255.255.0, [...]

> hmm, sounds you have devices in your network building an byte-swapped
> and therefore wrong icmp mask-reply.
> are these devices with the 0.255.255.255 netmask reply from the same
> manufacturer ?

due to the big number of devices difficult to answer.

We have a complete Fiber Optic network and currently uses FOIRL NIC only from
Allied Telesyn (except for servers with fast ethernet). Most used NIC modell is
the AT-2450FT, but we also have some AT-1500 and AT-1700 and a few 2450F cards.
All with the latest drivers.
Back in the office I will check which NIC modell the failed machines has.

BTW, after installing our new 3Com switches I tried their free management
tool for NT 4. This software didn't complaint about an netmask error,
everything is "green" and ok.

Thomas