Re: [tkined] compiling Scotty for solaris

Judah Greenblatt (judah@bbt.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:28:53 -0400

I use exactly this configuration, and it can be made to work.

First off, what compiler are you using?
I have successfully compiled both Tcl and Scotty using both gcc and
the Sun Sparcworks compiler (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc).
If you use gcc, you must pass the argument --enable-gcc to the
configure script.

Scotty must use the same installation directroy (--prefix= option)
as Tcl was compiled with.

I always use shared libraries on solaris (--enable-shared configure option)

Secondly, you have to do the compiles in the following order:

- unpack TCL/TK 8.x release
- unpack Scotty 2.1.10 release from the same directory you unpacked
the tcl release
- configure, compile, and install tcl/tk 8.
- now you can configure and compile scotty.

If you try to configure scotty before tcl 8 is installed,
or tell scotty to use a different installation directory than
TCL, there will be problems.

If these hints don't help, I can show you a procedure I wrote to compile
a new Tcl and/or scotty release and install it.

--
Judah Greenblatt	judah@bbt.com     919-405-4716
BroadBand Technologies, Durham, NC