Re: [tkined] I can't set values to variables

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:04:58 +0200

MRG> Hello. Can you help me? I'm working with cmu-snmp-3.6 and Red
MRG> Hat 5.2 (kernel version 2.0.36) and Scotty 2.1.10. I can get the
MRG> variable's values but I can't modify them, and I'm sure that my
MRG> /etc/snmpd.conf file is correct (I have probe the example file
MRG> that come with the software, too).

MRG> I have tried modify the status of my ethernet with the following
MRG> command:

MRG> snmpset localhost private interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifAdminStatus.2 i 2
MRG> and it returns the following message:

This variable is not writable. However, there is a bug in the
agent. It does not return the right error code. (It must return a
noSuchName error in this case.)

MRG> And the next error appear too: # snmpset localhost private
MRG> ip.ipDefaultTTL.0 i 66 info: using MIB-file from environment
MRG> setting. Error in packet. Reason: There is no such variable
MRG> name in this MIB.

This is the correct behaviour. Using SNMPv2c, you would get a
notWritable error, which is a much better indication what is
going wrong here.

Erik, can you check why the CMU agent does not return noSuchName on
the ifAdminStatus variable?
Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder  schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks