[tkined] Problems with Scotty and Prowrap. . . file loading

Robert Seeger (rseeger@nortelnetworks.com)
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:03:08 -0400

I've been trying to integrate Scotty with the shell that I want to use for
Prowrap. Actually, I'm trying to get Prowrap to work with the shell I
currently use, which includes Scotty. After a lot of work, and quite a bit
of help from people on the newsgroup (big thanks to Doug Hughes), I finally
got Scotty compiled into a static shell (not easy). I've run into a new
problem, however, that I was hoping somebody (Juergen) might be able to
help me with.

I received the following information from a helpful individual at Scriptics:

>Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Our developer has reviewed the
>initialization code for Tnm and found that it is using regular C functions
>locate its init file. This is problematic as these functions do not know how
>to look for the file inside the wrapped application. So, adding the -code
>option to point to the directory where its init.tcl file resides will not
>work. The functions we found are access and stat in the tnmInit.c file. You
>would need to modify the extension to use Tcl_Access and Tcl_stat instead.
In
>addition, if the extension does other types of file manipulation
operation, it
>will have to use the Tcl_OpenFileChannel function. These Tcl functions are
>written to first look for the file in the wrapped application before looking
>for it on the file system.

I was hoping to find out what I might be able to do about this. Is there a
newer version of Scotty (I'm using 2.1.9) that does not have this problem?
If so, where might I find it? If not, is there a plan to fix (not sure if
this is something that needs to be fixed, or just something that is done a
specific way for a purpose) this in a future version?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Robert Seeger
Robert Seeger