Re: [tkined] unable to start straps

Markus Buchhorn (markus@acsys.anu.edu.au)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:06:46 +1000

>Chad> I built scotty2.1.10 on Linux PPC 2.0.30. I ran make as myself
>Chad> followed by 'make sinstall' as root. When I invoke straps as
>Chad> either myself or root, I get the following error message:
>
>Chad> straps: unable to bind trap socket: Permission denied

This doesn't seem like a 'port in use' error, so it seems unlikely to be a
second-instance problem, although you might like to check with a tool like
'lsof'.

Other thought - is the partition with the executable mounted 'nosuid'
perhaps ? (and just check that the executable is installed setuid root?)

That's all my pennies worth...

Cheers,
Markus

Markus Buchhorn, Advanced Computational Systems CRC | Ph: +61 2 62798810
email: markus@acsys.anu.edu.au, snail: ACSys, RSISE Bldg,|Fax: +61 2 62798602
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Australia |Mobile: 0417 281429