Re: [tkined] Scotty and MRTG

pdebono@eur.ko.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:28:47 +0100

Well, I use both MRTG and Scotty. It is very simple to use Scotty to pull
in the data from your devices then pass the result to MRTG for graphing. To
go one step further, if you read the documentation for MRTG, and look
through the perl code, it would be simple enough to generate the same
graphs yourself from tcl/scotty without using MRTG. However, given the
fact that MRTG is so good already, trying to replicate it's functionality
in tcl seems to me to be a case of re-inventing the wheel.
I have several modified versions of the original MRTG perl code, which
although doing basically the same thing, are now adapted to better suit
what I need. I found this fairly simple to do, so I would highly recommend
installing perl / MRTG and saving yourself the bother of trying to
duplicate the functionality in tcl.

Peter Debono

Technical Consultant,
The Coca-Cola Company.