Re: [tkined] Scotty and MRTG

John Stumbles (J.D.Stumbles@reading.ac.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:38:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Sahu, Devaraj wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 1. How can I generate MRTG type graphs (bytes/sec in/out at an
> interface) in Scotty for a Cisco router?

why not use MRTG if that's what you want?!

> 2. Is there an enterprise MIB that I can load to Scotty to track
> performance of a Cisco router or a catalyst switch?

scotty comes with a cisco MIB: to use it you have to edit your
~scotty/lib/init.tcl to include cisco.mib (or do it the proper way with a
~scotty/site/init.tcl file as described in the main init.tcl file).

Look in ~scotty/mibs/cisco.mib and try
~scotty/examples/snmpwalk {some cisco device} cisco
to see what sort of information you can get out.

> Any pointers will be appreciated.

Dunno if this helps, but I've just written a scotty script to get every 10
secs and log to file interface and other stats from a router (Bay Accelar
in this case). The script gets per-box variables like sysUpTime as well as
walking the interfaces and getting per-interface stats like ifInOctets, so
should be a reasonable basis for hacking into what you want to collect.

I plan to write another script (in perl: I'm not too good at Tcl ...
actually I'm not that good at perl either, just less worse :-) to
post-process the stats for other apps including MRTG, and use MRTG to
generate the graphs.

The script is currently at
http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~suqrnine/NOC/Scotty/axlrStats

--