Re: [tkined] building scotty 2.1.10 on HP-UX 10.20 (fwd)

George Smith (gbs@swdc.stratus.com)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:50:20 -0800 (PST)

For those following this saga - and I wan't to thank those who have sent
suggestions - here is the latest...

I got WDB, HP's port of gdb, from an HP web site and installed it.
I got DDD, a GUI front end to gdb, and installed it and used them
to get more data. BTW, using gdb with DDD is FANTASTIC!!! What a
wonderful set of tools!!! Both with full source and work great.

Anyway, I used them to run scotty and tracked execution to the call
to shl_load(3x) which was trying to load the tnm shared library.
It was fun to watch the execution of the Tcl Virtual Machine -
with DDD it was easy to see the reading of the startup script,
the compilation and then the execution - cool!

Execution gets to the call to shl_load(3x) in file tclLoadShl.c
which resides in the tcl8.0.4 source in directory tcl8.0.4/unix.
The arguments to shl_load(3x) have the correct full path to the tnm
shared lib. However, shl_load returns with a NULL handle and sets errno
to ENOENT(2) with is the infamous "no such file or directory"! Yet,
the full path being passed to shl_load is the correct full path and the
file is there and chatr(1) reports it as being a shared lib, etc, etc....

I will now investigate why the shl_load() is failing. Maybe the format of the
tnm2.1.10.sl file is not be what shl_load() wants since if I substitute another
shared lib file in place tnm2.1.10.sl, ie cp libtk8.0.4.sl to tnm2.1.10.sl,
then shl_load fails not with ENOENT but with ENOSYM. If and when I get this
one solved, I'll let the list know.

Again, thanks to those sending suggestions: Ari Reen, P. Davan, Mark Newnham
and Mullaparthi Chandrashekhar.